Applications are open
The application deadline for the 2018-2019 academic year is February 16, 2018.
Discover the CISAC Honors Program
Apply to the Honors program
- Program description
- Eligibility and Program Requirements
- Online Application Instructions
The CISAC Honors Program provides the opportunity for eligible Stanford students focusing on international security topics in any university department to earn Honors in International Security Studies. CISAC seeks a diverse group of undergraduates from all majors and departments for the program. Upon fulfilling individual department course requirements and completing the Honors Program, the student will graduate in his/her major with Honors in International Security Studies. Students are admitted to the program on a competitive basis.
Students may earn up to 5 units of credit each academic quarter through enrollment in the Honors seminar (IIS 199: Interschool Honors Program in International Security Studies), a key component of the program. A maximum of 15 units can be earned in the program, assuming that the student participates in IIS 199 during all three academic quarters. A minimum of 9 units is required to earn Honors. The units will be rewarded upon the successful completion and acceptance of the Honors thesis.
Eligibility and Program Requirements
Deadline for submission of all application materials to CISAC: February 16, 2018.
- Be able to fulfill all course requirements in their individual departments by the time of graduation, in addition to the units required for the Honors seminar series (a minimum of 3 units/quarter).
- Demonstrate sufficient depth and breadth of international security coursework.
- Have completed two required courses and at least one related course. Those who apply without having taken the required courses will, if admitted, be required to complete the courses before graduation. If need be, students may be enrolled in these required courses during their senior year, and can take one or more courses concurrently with the required Honors seminar. Please see the Relevant Course Form on page 5 of the application form for a list of related courses (others can also be proposed).
- Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.3 at the time of application, which must be maintained throughout the program.
- Provide a letter of recommendation written by a Stanford faculty member or teaching assistant with whom the student has worked closely.
- Submit a signed Honors Consultation Form from a Stanford faculty member, whose research interests are closely aligned with those of the student and who is a likely candidate to serve as the student’s primary thesis adviser. This may or may not be the same faculty member who writes the recommendation letter.
- Complete a one-quarter internship with a governmental office, international organization, or non-governmental organization directly involved in international security policy. (Private sector internships are acceptable on a case-by-case basis.) Internships may be completed before or during junior year, including during Stanford-in-Washington; and may, by approval of the program director, count towards the internship requirement. For those who have not served an internship before admission into the program, CISAC will assist with placement and may offer a small stipend for living expenses, if need is demonstrated.
- Provide letter of reference/evidence of internship completion from internship supervisor or human resources department noting title, dates, and responsibilities.
- Be on campus all three quarters of their senior year.
- Be able to attend the CISAC Honors College in Washington, D.C. and at Stanford, scheduled for early/mid-September 2018. The CISAC Honors College is associated with the Bing Honors College and is free-of-charge for all students enrolled in the program.
- Submission of thesis to the Stanford Electronic Repository (a requirement prior to Honors Commencement/Certificate Conferral)
Online Application Instructions
- To apply, click on button below.
- Click "Sign up to get started" (at the bottom of the page). Input the requested information to create a username and password.
- Click "CISAC Interschool Honors Program.”
- Proceed through the application, entering information into all required fields.
- Submit your application.
We welcome your questions!